[OS X TeX] problem setting paper size

Gerben Wierda sherlock at rna.nl
Sat Mar 30 22:23:08 CET 2002

On Saturday, March 30, 2002, at 05:53 , Karl Rubin wrote:

> I downloaded the new (thin) TeX i-Installer and installed/updated all
> three portions.  Following the instructions, I tried to use texconfig
> to change the paper size to "letter".  I got an error message I don't
> understand, and my pdf's still come out as a4:
>
>   % sudo texconfig dvips paper letter
>   Password:
>   Error: value 'letter' not in list 'See'.
>   % sudo texconfig pdftex paper letter
>   Error: value 'letter' not in list 'See'.

This has come up once before, and thanks to Karl, it is now clear what
is going on, so I'll inform all of you (and have adapted my web site
'tex know how' info). It turns out that the personal texmf tree he used
was also used with OzTeX at some point, and OzTeX has written a
config.ps there that is incompatible with texconfig.

On top of that, teTeX's texconfig writes in the local system-wide tree,
even if it finds config.ps in the user's personal tree.

My web page on tex has the information: http://www.rna.nl/tex.html and a
recipe for fixing this.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.