[OS X TeX] ANNOUNCE: New TeX/gs releases for Mac OS X

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Thu Mar 28 20:50:20 CET 2002

On 3/28/02 8:00 AM, "Gerben Wierda" <sherlock at rna.nl> wrote:

> I am happy to announce the release of a new TeX/gs release and a new
> generic installer-mechanism. I have also released an update of the old
> installer.

[snip]

> For you TeX people, it is more interesting to know what all of this
> means for installing TeX. Installing with the dedicated TeX i-Installer
> has a few advantages:
> - It is easy to choose a different ghostscript. Just open the right URL
> *with i-Installer* (http://www.ntg.nl/macosx-tex/i-packages/gs7.ii), and
> you can install GhostScript 7 instead of the default 6.01.

Now that Gerben has released a new version of his installer that allows me
to use GS 7, I guess it is time to ask the following question:

  Why are we not using GS 7 now and why is it necessary to use GS 6?

The reason I ask is that there is a "bug" in GS 6 when it needs to convert a
and EPS with a gradient to PDF. See:

<http://www.ghostscript.com/pipermail/gs-code-review/2001-May/000661.html>

for information on this bug. The bottom line is that GS 6 is very slow at
handling radial gradients, which I use a lot. I would love to move to GS 7,
but I am nervous that something important will break. I recall a thread
relating to this previously, but I was unable to find it. Insights are
appreciated.

All the best,

-- Gary

"help" (no quotes) in the body.