[OS X TeX] metapost using pdflatex

Arun Mangalam arun_mangalam at mac.com
Mon Mar 25 14:56:14 CET 2002

[Somehow my original message was return so here goes again ...]

Hello Joseph,

A simple search with Google for ConTeXt and TeX would lead to many
valuable links, including one to a nice site by Berend de Boer
introducing ConTeXt to LaTeX users

	http://berend.gameren.nl/tex/

Many links within are useful, as well as direct links to the makers of
ConTeXt, Pragma

	http://www.pragma-ade.nl/

That site will provide a lot of documentation, examples, and a very
valuable mailing-list in which people are very helpful. Try it...

Anyway, to use the sample I provided is to replace that Escher jpeg
name, "escher_ascending",  with some other jpeg you have. Save that TeX
file, and run the ConTeXt command that TeXShop provides. Can't get any
easier that with Koch et al.'s excellent TeXShop package. Of course, you
have to be using Gerben's well-made teTeX package.

Good luck. And next time, try searching a little. You might find
something relevant. :)

- Arun

% Cut this into a TeX file for TeXShop
\setupcolors[state=start]

\startMPclip{text clip}
	clip currentpicture to fullcircle shifted (.5,.5)
		xscaled \width yscaled \height ;
\stopMPclip

\startuseMPgraphic{clip outline}
	draw fullcircle
		xscaled \overlaywidth yscaled \overlayheight
		withpen pencircle scaled 3mm
		withcolor .625red ;
\stopuseMPgraphic

\defineoverlay
	[clip outline]
	[\useMPgraphic{clip outline}]

\starttext
	\startTEXpage[scale=3000,offset=5pt]
		{\framed
			[background=clip outline,offset=overlay,frame=off]
			{\clip
				[nx=1,ny=1,mp=text clip]

	{\externalfigure[escher_ascending][type=jpg,width=3cm,height=3cm]}}}
	\stopTEXpage
\stoptext
% Stop Cut

On Saturday, March 23, 2002, at 05:23 PM, Joseph C. Slater wrote:

> Obviously I'm missing something, because I'm not finding much of
> anything in the way of documentation. If you have a simple example of
> how to make a standalone PDF (or eps for that matter!), I could
> probably make use of it. However, I have no idea of how ConTeXt fits
> into anything because I can't find a manual. Does it replace LaTeX?
> Does it replace the interface to MP? For now I'll have to just deal
> with non-stand alone .mps files. I know this can't be that hard, but
> without the document that says how it works, I'm dead in the water.
> However, the change the extension to .mps and use it directly in
> pdflatex is probably good enough.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

"help" (no quotes) in the body.