[OS X TeX] Slowdown in mac-emacs and PATH variable

Jan Erik Moström lists at mostrom.pp.se
Tue Mar 5 08:16:41 CET 2002

At 2002-03-04 22:09, Enrico Franconi <franconi at cs.man.ac.uk> wrote:

>On the other topic of the PATH not being correctly visible from within
>emacs, we are investigating the fact. I call emacs with a "do shell
>script 'tcsh -c'" so in principle all the tcsh environment should be
>visible. For some strange reason, in this case the shell does not
>source the init files as it should do. We are trying to understand
>why. By now, the patch is to set the paths directly in
>/usr/share/init/tcsh/rc. This is an horrible solution and we prefer
>that nobody actually does it! Stay tuned.

Isn't this due to what happens when a shell is started from a Mac OS X
application and not from the terminal ... there is a technote about this from
Apple (I haven't got the URL right now).

Basically, you need to define a XML list with the environment variables (go
to www.barebones.com, look at their FAQ 18 (I think) for BBEdit and there is
a link to the technote).

I had a similar problem with the worksheet in BBEdit but it was fixed when I
followed the directions in the technote.

                    jem
--
Jan Erik Moström   jem at mostrom.pp.se    www.mostrom.pp.se

"help" (no quotes) in the body.