PDF presentations /again/ [was Re: [OS X TeX] Equation Service]

Enrico Franconi franconi at cs.man.ac.uk
Fri Mar 22 01:58:36 CET 2002

On March 21, Jon Guyer writes:
> figures look horrible [*]. Anything rendered from PS vector files
> gets scaled and rendered horribly by Acrobat (reader or full, Mac,
> Mac OS X, 'doze, etc.). What should be smooth lines come out all
> clumpy looking.

I don't know whether this could be the cause of your problem, but some
similar bad behaviour of gs can be fixed by avoiding the automatic
encoding in jpeg of internal figures. I use the following settings:

 -dAutoFilterColorImages=false -dColorImageFilter=/FlateEncode
 -dAutoFilterGrayImages=false -dGrayImageFilter=/FlateEncode

This will make your pdf files larger than usual.

> Alpha will let you do this now (i.e., it takes care of the clumsy
> solutions for you)
>
> TeX -> Process -> Typeset Selection
>
> Moreover, it does everything within the context of your document's preamble.

Exactly the very same thing is already possible with mac-emacs, and,
in general with any emacs equipped with auctex.

cheers
-- e.

Enrico Franconi                     - franconi at cs.man.ac.uk
University of Manchester            - http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~franconi/
Department of Computer Science      - Phone: +44 (161) 275 6170
Manchester M13 9PL, UK              - Fax:   +44 (161) 275 6204

"help" (no quotes) in the body.