[OS X TeX] Arial (or similar) font in TeX

Matthias Damm osxtex at macpla.net
Mon Jun 24 18:51:23 CEST 2002

At 9:08 Uhr -0400 24.06.2002, William Adams wrote:

> Helvetica is a ``grotesk'' which style dates back quite a bit farther
> than the 80s (though it was very popular then) to the tail end of the
> 19th century.

I know that, what I meant is that Helvetica was very popular in the 80s and
therefore a document written in helvetica looks very 80s-like to me.

> Arial was _not_ created for on-screen display, but as a metrically
> compatible alternative to Helvetica by Monotype for use by IBM with
> their then new laserprinters (originally the fonts bundled with that
> were named after rivers in Colorado, so it was ``Sonora Sans''). For
> those interested in the details, Dr. Chuck Bigelow posted on this to
> comp.fonts and groups.google.com should have it.

Really? Probably this is not the best place to discuss font history, but
does Arial really base in any way on Helvetica? For me the two fonts are
almost as far away from each other as two "grotesk" fonts can be...

Thanks for the information anyway.

Best regards,
Matthias
--