SOLVED: [OS X TeX] Mathematica e TeXShop

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Jun 27 01:18:20 CEST 2002

> On Wednesday, June 26, 2002, at 10:17 , Alessandro Languasco wrote:
>
> > I am sorry for the previous message.
> > The problem was inthe location of the wolfram.map
> > file.
> >
> > I was able to fix it using the istructions from Wolfram Research
> > at the address:
> >
> > http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/interface/export//tetexconfig.html
>
> Sadly, those instructions are rather out of date and they are also prone
> to produce errors later in life, in case you are using my distribution
> and you decide to update your main texmf tree later on.
>
> I would suggest:
> 1. Copy the stuff to the texmf.local tree, not the main texmf tree as
> the latter gets overwritten when TeX is updated. (Always keep your
> changes in texmf.local or ~/Library/texmf, *never* change the main texmf
> tree if you can prevent it).

Can I suggest one change to your structure then.
The problem is that it has become quite common to distribute
packages, especially those requiring new fonts, etc.
as a  .tar  archive of a texmf/ sub-tree; that is,
with texmf/ as the root node when the archive is unpacked.

Unpacking into  ~/Library/texmf/  is no problem;
just cd to ~/Library and  tar -xf <archive>  and all the files
go into the intended places.

Unpacking into  texmf.local  is a lot harder, since there is
already a directory named texmf/ in that location:

[go:local/teTeX/share] rossmoor% pwd
/usr/local/teTeX/share
[go:local/teTeX/share] rossmoor% ls -l
total 8
drwxr-xr-x  28 root  admin  908 Jun 16 00:48 texmf
drwxrwxr-x   9 root  admin  264 Jun 16 00:48 texmf.local
drwxr-xr-x  13 root  admin  398 Jun 16 00:48 texmf.macosx
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin   12 Apr 10 23:02 texmf.os -> texmf.macosx

The solution that I'm proposing for consideration is to rename texmf/
to something like   texmf.teTeX ,
then make a *symbolic* link:   ln -s texmf.teTeX texmf

Now to unpack directly into  texmf.local  one could do the following
(as root, or via sudo):

rm texmf
ln -s texmf.local texmf
tar -xf <archive>
rm texmf
ln -s texmf.teTeX texmf
texhash

Notice that the  rm  remove only the link, not the directory,
so this is just juggling pointers to make unpacking easier.

Of course, another option is to make a temporary symbolic link
>from elsewhere:

ln -s /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local texmf
sudo tar -xf <archive>
rm texmf
sudo texhash

Perhaps this latter is a better solution.  (In which case it's good
to have both options recorded within the email archives.)

All the best,

	(and congrats again, on your marriage)

	Ross

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.