[OS X TeX] Styles or macros for preparing posters, and how to use TeXShop for this

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Sun Jun 2 12:17:27 CEST 2002

Le dimanche 2 juin 2002, à 11:55 , Thomas Schröder a écrit :

> Why don't you extract the logos from Powerpoint? That's what I did and
> could from then on compose my posters with LaTeX :-)
> This approach might also still be faster because you're spared from all
> kinds of hassles due to Powerpoint, especially when it comes to
> printing. LaTeX and friends give you very stable and trouble free
> output, whereas this is one of Powerpoint's major weaknesses and not to
> be underestimated in your schedule. When we did our first experiments
> with posters, it took about 5 or 6 shots, until the poster came out
> right from the printer. Needless to say that we were in a very tight
> schedule, resulting in many a gray hair...

Thanks, I'll try this. However there're not only logos, but also a
border. Originally I thought, naively, that it was possible to export
all this from PowerPoint as a PS or PDF background for use in LaTeX;
that might be possible, but I just don't know how to do it.

One problem is my version of PowerPoint is old; I'll get Office X at
some point next week. Classic and native OS X applications definitely
don't mix up so well, especially when fonts are involved: I more or less
managed to import PDF files from LaTeX into Illustrator (also old)
without losing fonts; however accents are lost, whatever I tried, and in
French we use to use them a lot.

Speaking of tight schedules: my poster needs to be ready for printing
first thing early tomorrow morning. Fortunately my hair are cropped
quite short!

Bruno Voisin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.