[OS X TeX] lucida installation

chip brock brock at pa.msu.edu
Tue Jun 18 06:34:54 CEST 2002

Hi
sorry, I need to be specific as I'm not sure what you mean below!

Chip (also, "Ray" for Michael...I've suffered with two names my whole
life...)

On 6/18/02 12:16 AM, "Adrian Heathcote"
<adrian.heathcote at philosophy.usyd.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi Chip
>

>> \usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}
>> \usepackage[LY1]{lucidabr}
>> \usepackage{bm}
>>
>> (the latter messages with \usepackage[expert]{lucidabr} behave the same
>> way)
>>
>> and low and behold...the pdf is beautiful. These are just the right
>> thing
>> for screen viewing
>
> Yes, if you find cm fonts too spindly, lucida is Soviet-era sturdy.
> Built like the proverbial brick ****-house.
>>
>> BUT
>>
>> some stuff doesn't render at all. For instance, | comes out script j.
>> \bullet comes out a box, the occasional letter doesn't render in the
>> pdf,
>> but does in the texshop window, and the combination "fi" renders in the
>> texshop window as a rectangle, but does render okay in the pdf!
>>
>> Also, there are a lot more fonts in the package that I bought from yandy
>> than are in the directory that contains the tfm files.
>
> Check that the encoding is the same as you were using before and install
> all the outline fonts in the installation including all the support
> files: vf, tfm, fd files.

what do you mean specifically by 'encoding'? And, where do the vf, and
balance of the tfm files go? I gather that if I were a wintel machine, I
would have received an installer with the download...!

In the old days, outline fonts meant one thing, in this business, what does
it mean?

All that I 'installed' were the pfb fonts, since that seemed to work for
Michael before. What I did specifically is download and unzip the files from
yandy. I created the directories from

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy

to match the tfm directories, copied the corresponding yandy pfb files into
my new directories one for each that existed already in the

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/yandy

directory. Then, since they were all UPPER CASE after unzipping, I made
copies of them and by hand changed the originals to lower case, leaving the
copies still there, as it made it easy to see that I changed them properly
without a typo. Then I started to use them.

The ..../tfm/yandy directories contain:

[brock:fonts/tfm/yandy] brock% ls -R
courier   lucida    lucsans   mathpi    mathtime  times
lubright  lucidfax  lumath    mathplus  symbol    zapfding

namely:

./lubright:
lbd.tfm   lbdi.tfm  lbdsc.tfm lbi.tfm   lbr.tfm   lbrsc.tfm lbsl.tfm

./lucida:
lbh.tfm   lbkr.tfm  lbtb.tfm  lbto.tfm
lbc.tfm   lbki.tfm  lbl.tfm   lbtbo.tfm lbtr.tfm

./lucidfax:
lfd.tfm   lfdi.tfm  lfi.tfm   lfr.tfm

./lucsans:
lsb.tfm   lsd.tfm   lsi.tfm   lstb.tfm  lsto.tfm
lsbi.tfm  lsdi.tfm  lsr.tfm   lstbo.tfm lstr.tfm

./lumath:
lbma.tfm  lbmd.tfm  lbmdo.tfm lbmi.tfm  lbmr.tfm  lbmsd.tfm
lbmad.tfm lbmdi.tfm lbme.tfm  lbmo.tfm  lbms.tfm

> If you've got bits left over after assembling a watch then it's time to
> pdf. I can only say that my install went pretty smoothly.
>
> That may not be as helpful as you'd like but with font installation
> there are lots of places where things can go wrong.
>
> Adrian Heathcote

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.

Raymond Brock  *  Professor of Physics
3210 BPS Building
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Michigan State University  *  East Lansing, MI  48824
brock at pa.msu.edu

cell..............(517)927-5447
hep office........(517)353-1693/355-9200 #2120
open fax..........(517)355-6661
secure fax........(517)351-0688
Fermilab office...(630)840-2286
CERN Office:......40 5-C31 * 76-71258