[OS X TeX] howto do smart (double) quotes with texshop

Matthias Damm osxtex at macpla.net
Thu Jun 20 00:45:30 CEST 2002

At 20:03 Uhr +0200 19.06.2002, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> My experience is that beginners find this really annoying (e.g. Gr"u"se
> instead of Grüße). But this is probably getting off topic?

Is this still the question "kp gores" has asked in the first place?
I type "Grüße", although I know that this could cause problems (although I
do not think it will).
I also tell every TeX Newbie that he does not have to type '"u' if he wants
'ü', because I would never do this.
In my opinion this is one of the reason for TeX being known as too
complicated for a normal user, since many TeX books (Kopka for example)
describe the '"u' version as standard still today. BTW, the reason Kopka
gives for using this version is that one could have no german keyboard
available, which may be true for workstation users but not for almost any
PC or Mac user in Germany. (Some people (programmers) use a international
layout because some characters can be obtained more easily here, but that
is not true for most of the TeX users...)

Nevertheless I would appreciate "smart quotes". This has nothing to do with
encoding problems, I can type '"' and '"' on my german keyboard with Alt-1
and Shift-Alt-1.
The feature Alpha has is that you can type '"' (Shift-1) and the programme
replaces this by '"' or '"', depending if it is an opening or closing
quote. (Word does this too, but with some problems...)

This does not have any effect on the .tex file which is saved, '"' stays '"".

An option which saves every 'ä' or 'å' as a TeX command which every TeX
installation in the world can understand was nice, too. But for the moment
the "smart quotes" feature I have described above was a much greater
feature for me!

So, this is a feature request to the TeXShop and iTeXMac people!

Best regards,
Matthias
--
Matthias Damm <m.damm at web.de>