[OS X TeX] Styles or macros for preparing posters, and how to use TeXShop for this

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Sat Jun 1 22:36:56 CEST 2002

Le samedi 1 juin 2002, à 09:38 PM, Michel Bovani a écrit :

>> - Are there LaTeX styles/macros aimed specially at doing posters ? I'm
>> using the slides class for the moment.
>
> \documentclass{a0poster}
>>
>> - I use \setlength{\paperwidth} {841mm} and
>> \setlength{\paperheight}{1189mm} to make LaTeX aware of A0 paper
>> size, I
>> use the A0 printer driver (it's a PRINEO printer) and I define the
>> paper
>> size to be A0 in TeXShop's "Page Setup" menu item for this printer.
>
> If you are using pdflatex, you have to configure it for your page
> dimensions
> (using \pdfpageheiht/width primitives).
>
> Try this
>
> \documentclass[a0,portrait]{a0poster}
> \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{calc,palatino}
> \usepackage[frenchb]{babel}
> \pdfpagewidth\paperwidth
> \pdfpageheight\paperheight
> \pagestyle{empty}
> \begin{document}
> \fontsize{180}{200}\selectfont
> \vspace*{\fill}
> \begin{center}\bfseries
> Je suis un joli Poster
> \end{center}
> \vfill\vfill
> \end{document}

Thanks, works nicely, in both TeX + GhostScript and pdfTeX modes. I
always forget about pdfTeX idiosyncrasies; I remember at some point
\pdfpageheight/width and \pdfhorigin/vorigin had to be adjusted, but I
thought it had been made unnecessary in recent pdfTeX versions.

But now I've got another problem: my version of PowerPoint is quite old
(from Office 98, I had never used it so far) and can only import
pictures in EPS format, no PDF. I thought I could use Illustrator to
convert from PDF to EPS; alas, my version of Illustrator is also old (8)
so I am faced with the bug reported to this list several times already,
I think: importing TeX's PDF output into Illustrator results in
Illustrator claiming that fonts cannot be found.

Being on very tight schedule I think I'll move to the Dark Side for this
time, and later investigate how things can nicely be done.

Thanks for the great help in any case!

Bruno Voisin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.