[OS X TeX] Path Configurations from OS X

Troy D Goodson Troy.D.Goodson at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 25 18:43:07 CEST 2002

Would it be a good idea if Gerben's TeX installer had an option for
ensuring that this structure exists inside ~/Library ?   If so, how
about this: the first time it makes it, it also puts an alias (or a
soft link, I guess) to it on your desktop so that it's easy to find?

Troy.

At 12:59 PM +0200 7/25/02, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>The answer to this question can be found in the (Mac OS X TeX) Know
>How section of my web page: http://www.rna.nl/tex.html
>
>generally, if you use my TeX distribution, you will not need to
>fiddle with texmf.cnf (which is also risky if you do not fully
>understand the 'how tex finds files' issue).

>On Wednesday, July 24, 2002, at 06:35 , David Oliver wrote:
>
>>It is difficult to see, on first look, the benefits of investing the fairly
>>high time  costs of comprehending the complex way TeX finds files. If there
>>is no way to tell teTeX via TeXShop where graphics and the various source,
>>log, and typeset files are located and to be stored save through a shell in
>>OS X to access the usr/local/teTeX/tecmf.cnf file, so be it and I will
>>attempt to become proficient in doing so. But at the present moment, under
>>other demands, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could offer a simple
>>prescription by which I can tell teTeX where these component files are
>>stored (perhaps even without the use of terminal) so that I might proceed
>>past the all too-familiar error message "I cant find..."

"help" (no quotes) in the body.