[OS X TeX] spellcheckers

William Adams wadams at atlis.com
Mon Jul 22 20:13:10 CEST 2002

Matthias said:
(re: Excalibur and cocoAspell)
>They use completely different concepts.
>Excalibur is a standalone application which can open your .tex (or
>whatever) document, correct it and save it again.
>cocoAspell is a kind of "plugin" to the system which can be used by any
>application supporting MacOS X's spellchecking functionality.

<snip>

>As a conclusion I would say that Excalibur is a great app and was extremely
>valuable under MacOS 9 and earlier, but since Apple has finally integrated
>spellchecking into the OS with OS X today cocoAspell is probably the better
>choice.

That's not entirely fair---Excalibur implements the Classic derived
``Word service'' function for spell-checking, and will work within
Classic and Carbon apps which make use of that classic Mac OS API.

Blame Apple for not making that coeval / interchangeable with the
NeXTstep-derived Cocoa implementation.

William

"help" (no quotes) in the body.