[OS X TeX] using garamond?

Adrian Heathcote adrian.heathcote at philosophy.usyd.edu.au
Thu Jul 4 06:54:11 CEST 2002

Hi

It is comparatively easy to use garamond, in fact. And you do not need
fontinstall to do it.

Simply dowload from CTAN the folder containing the metric files. These
are the tfm, the vf and the fd and sty files plus the pad.map file. You
will find the folder under psfonts.

In your texmf tree you create folders inside fonts/tfm/adobe
fonts/vf/adobe and fonts/type1/adobe, all called agaramon. You put the
obvious files into the first two of these folders.

In your texmf tree under fonts you create another agaramon folder and
put the fd and sty files.

You then rename the type 1 outline fonts (which I assume you have
already purchased from Eyewire or adobe (in days of old)) by the name
that you will read in the pad.map file---ie. padr8a.pfb. If you do not
have them in pfb form you can either edit the pad.map file to match the
name and format that you have them in, or you can convert them with
type1 utilities. When you have done this throughout you put these files
into the third folder:fonts/type1/adobe/agaramon.

You now update the configuration file for pdftex by adding the line: map
+pad.map.

You only need fontinstall if you can't find the metric files on CTAN or
if you want to customise your installation.

I've assumed above that you have already bought the outline fonts. If
you haven't then you need to. But anyone would be well advised not to
hesitate in doing this: Adobe are converting their entire type library
to Open Type and no one (!!) knows how to use Open Type with LateX---no
one even knows what kind of reencoding will be required. So get the
fonts before it becomes impossible to get them.

If in doubt about any of the steps in this process you should buy and
absorb Alan Hoenig's book TeX Unbound: It is indispensible. (A book
written by someone who really knows fonts and is expert in LateX!! Just
the first of these is rare enough!)

HTH

Adrian Heathcote

On Tuesday, July 2, 2002, at 06:39 PM, mahakk wrote:

> hi,
>
> sorry to bother y'all again...
>
> i'd like to use the report class with helvetica as headlinefont and
> garamond
> for the copy. i may even go for garamond-only, dunno yet.
>
> problem is: how do i use garamond? :)
>
> i got a "garamond" folder in my texmf-tree. it obviously was placed
> there by
> the tex-installer. but when using
>
>     \usepackage{garamond}
>
> i get a
>
>     garamond.sty not found
>
> in the console and am asked to enter a different filename or such.
>
> is garamond not a part of the standard-install? and if so:  what's the
> garamond-folder for, and how can i use one of my postscript-versions of
> garamond (i got itc, adobe, berthold and apple's own versions) as the
> copy-font in tex?
>
> apologies if this has been covered a 100 times before...
>
> thanx
> mahakk

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.