[Mac OS X TeX] Test request for new altpdftex script

Gerben Wierda sherlock at rna.nl
Mon Jan 21 15:39:49 CET 2002

I have rewritten altpdftex, the TeX->dvips->distiller driver that comes
with my teTeX distribution. It is now written in /bin/sh instead of
tcsh. That gives me better signal handling. As a result, there will be
less temporary directory garbage in /tmp when the frontend kills a
running process in the right way. For now, I need people just to test
the script to see if it is allright compared to the previous version.

Download it from ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/comp/macosx/altpdftex and then
replace /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/altpdftex with
the new script:
	cp altpdftex /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-
current/altpdftex
	chmod 775 /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/altpdftex

Information for front end developers:

The sh in Mac OS X is a POSIX sh, which means that my script is still
uninterruptable when the child (e.g. TeX) blocks as it is waiting for
input (i.e. on a TeX error). There is a way around this, by sending the
terminate signal when you want to kill the typesetting process not to
the process id of the altpdftex script process but to the negative value
of that process id which kills the process group, including the blocking
TeX. Hence,  for instance in Cocoa apps:

change calls

	[myTask terminate]

into

	// Terminate the process group
	kill( -[myTask processIdentifier], SIGTERM);

If you do not do this, the process will get a SIGKILL later on from
Cocoa and that cannot be caught, hence the non-removal of the temporary
directory.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.