[Mac OS X TeX] Dvi and postscript previewers

Gerben Wierda sherlock at rna.nl
Sun Jan 6 23:47:41 CET 2002

On Sunday, January 6, 2002, at 10:37 , Thomas Neumann wrote:

> However, IMHO it would be better to have *three* texmf trees: the main
> texmf tree as for the standard teTeX installation or any update of
> teTeX in general, second: a system wide 'texmf local tree', containing
> all system wide customizations, LaTeX packages and fonts not included
> in teTeX etc. (in a directory /Library/texmf), and the 'private texmf
> tree' for the users own packages, updated packages, fonts and so on (in
> ~/Library/texmf).

Actually, this is close to how my teTeX distribution for Mac OS X is
configured:

	/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf -> Thomas Esser's teTeX texmf tree
	/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.macosx -> Any additions or upgrades
that I ship (I worry a bit less about licenses than Thomas does and any
specific Mac OS X support).
	/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local -> Any additions or upgrades by
the local TeX/Sys Admin, I leave this alone.

These three are system (all users) wide. And they have hashes to speed
up finding files. And additionally

	~/Library/texmf -> any user's private tree, normally without a hash.

With /Library/teTeX linked to /usr/local/teTeX these can also be visited
through the Finder.

See the file README.howtexfindsfiles in my distribution for details.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.