[Mac OS X TeX] Figure sizing in TeXShop

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Jan 30 03:09:31 CET 2002

> doesn't seem to be distributed with teTeX anymore.  I would be grateful
> if someone could state which version of eps2pdf would work and what
> distribution to use.
> >
> >  2. open the bad PDF with Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader)
> >     go to the  Document:Crop Pages..  menu option
> >     check  "Remove White Margins"
> >     then click "OK"
> >     now save the modified PDF, it will have the correct size.
>
> I thought of this and tried it.  It certainly looks fine in Acrobat, but
> when I attempted to import the file back into Illustrator for some
> touchup, the line sizes where all incorrect.  It appears that the
> decimal point was lost - so that 1.5 pt lines became 15 pt.

Ouch.
I don't get that --- with Illustrator 10 under MacOS 9.1.
Can you post an example please.

What I *do* get is that Illustrator doesn't interpret the box
containing the artwork correctly.
It has the correct size for the cropped Bounding-Box,
but it is located at the bottom-left corner of the full page (letter or A4)
and so not where the objects actually appear.

On the other hand, if I save the initial artwork from Illustrator
as a .ai file (not .pdf or .eps)  and then open this in Acrobat
for cropping, then a save;  (it's undocumented that .ai is really PDF)
the result comes back into Illustrator with the original full page.

The same thing happens when I save as PDF from Illustrator,
ensuring that the "Preserve Editing Capabilities" is checked.

Of course after further editing in Illustrator, it is necessary to
crop again in Acrobat.

> Thanks for the help.  I wish it were as easy as it appears (at first) to
> be.  eps figures are actually easier to use for this reason.

Adobe is trying to align all of their products to work consistently;
clearly that hasn't been achieved yet.

By providing examples of things that don't work as expected, we can
help ensure that those mistakes that affect us get fixed sooner.

Cheers,

	Ross

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.