[Mac OS X TeX] Language setting and backslash character

Dr. Paul Fons pfons at mac.com
Sat Jan 12 16:28:24 CET 2002

  I am a happy user of TeXShop here in Japan. I was curious to ask if
anyone else has had the same problem as me --- namely with the Mac OS X
set to Japanese as the preferred language, the backslash character is
changed automatically to the "yen" symbol.  For systems up to and
including Mac OS 9, the "yen" character and the backslash character were
one and the same thing (the same ascii code).  With OS X, however, the
two characters have different codes (unicode).  This means that one
problem with JIS keyboards is that there is not a backslash character on
the keyboard -- only a "yen" character.  Is there a way to enter a
backslash character with a JIS keyboard?  The second question relates to
my observation that with the language setting set to have Japanese as
the preferred language, the backslash character in previously saved
files (e.g. the sample file for TeXShop) have all of their backslash
characters changed to a different character (usually a "yen" symbol").
Is this a feature of Cocoa?  How can one avoid this "feature" with
Japanese as a preferred language.  Note this problem doesn't happen in
all applications (e.g. it doesn't happen in BBEdit lite).  I doubt this
was a design goal of the TeXShop authors, but rather came along with the
Cocoa class they are using.  Is there a switch to turn off such behavior
(or does it have more desirable effects sometimes)? I have solved the
problem by getting rid of my JIS keyboard and setting English to be the
preferred language, but for Japanese around me there must be a better
solution.  Any ideas?

										Paul Fons
Dr. Paul Fons
Senior Research Scientist
National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science and Technology
Optoelectronics Institute
Energy Electronics Institute
Umezono 1-1-1
Tsukuba, Ibaraki