[Mac OS X TeX] Re: tetex size / sub packages / mirrors (was Re: [Mac OS X TeX] OmnniGraffle 2.0 betas v3 supports TeX to PDFse

Gerben Wierda sherlock at rna.nl
Thu Jan 3 21:07:20 CET 2002

On Thursday, January 3, 2002, at 04:36 , Gary L. Gray wrote:

> I e-mailed Gerben last night offering him an account on a Mac OS X
> Server
> machine with almost unlimited disk space for distribution of teTeX and
> the
> like. He declined for a number of reasons, which I will let him divulge
> if
> he chooses.

Well, prompted like this: it is not server space that was the issue here
(I should have kept my big mouth shut). I have server space galore in
the outside world and I use one of those:
ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/comp/macosx.

For me, the only problem is that my link is slow and expensive and
another server somewhere is no solution for that problem. Maybe people
were under the impression that they were downloading directly from me
(and thus I would pay for their connect time) but rest assured: that is
not the case. The extra connect time was just maintenance time (i.e.
downloading all of TeX Live from their server using perforce,
downloading Mac OS X Dev Tools, uploading various versions of my
distribution, searching for answers to technical problems, etc., all of
which would not be solved by an outside server account)

Thinking about it: I can use help on two fronts:
	- I could use someone to make some nice icons for me (and I get to
influence the design a bit....)
	- I might use a web site (plain html, frames) that someone else has
created (I just do not have the time to design one, but I do have server
space at www.rna.nl/www.renske.net which have been 'under construction'
for a few years now).

But those two are not really urgent or strictly necessary.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.