[Mac OS X TeX] Fink, system-tetex, and latex2html

david craig dac at panix.com
Sun Feb 17 07:33:34 CET 2002

I have Gerben's tetex (latest, I think) installed.  I tried to use fink
to install latex2html and system-tetex, per the advice of David Morrison
last week on this list.  Both were "sort of" installed, apparently, but
it's clear that there's some conflict at work here and I haven't a clue
where to begin to sort it all out.

latex2html just doesn't work.  On a trivial file it gives

Error: No such image type ''.
       This installation supports (first is default):

[yes, that's all, and it quits to the command line.]

Run 'fink update-all' and it wants

The following 4 packages will be installed or updated:
 libpng system-tetex wget zlib
The following additional package will be installed:
 libpng-shlibs

When it tries to run, however, it fails:

Preparing to replace system-tetex 20010808-1 (using
.../system-tetex_20010808-2_darwin-powerpc.deb) ...

It looks like you may have teTex installed .. will check for some files
..

Unpacking replacement system-tetex ...
dpkg: error processing /sw/fink/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/text/system-tetex_20010808-2_darwin-powerpc.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite `/sw/etc/texmf.local', which is also in package
latex2html

/sw/fink/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/text/system-tetex_20010808-2_darwin-powerpc.deb
### dpkg failed, exit code 1
Failed: can't install package system-tetex-20010808-2

Now, after seeing this for the first time I checked /sw/etc and saw a
link there

texmf.local@ -> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local

I toasted it thinking that might allow fink to continue, knowing I could
then re-create it if fink didn't do it for me.  Oddly, fink still gves
me the same error even without this link.  Same thing if I rename the
link's target, /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local. Those were my only
ideas, and now I'm just stumped.  Any clue what's going on here, and how
I can get system-tetex updated and latex2html working?

CC's directly to me will be appreciated, as I am on the digest version
of the list.

Thanks,
David Craig

<http://www.panix.com/~dac/>