[Mac OS X TeX] Re: Trying to get something Alpha-ish in Mac OS X

Hemant K. Bhargava hkb at mac.com
Wed Feb 20 14:01:17 CET 2002

Eric - and other Alpha fans ..

AlphaX is presently in alpha testing mode, and has all the nice cool
features we all so love. Still a lot of bugs but some good people (I thank
them) are working on fixes.

I'm so happy to see it getting there ... I've become a paid user of Pepper
(also a very nice program), but once AlphaX comes out I'm switching!

- Hemant

--On Tuesday, February 19, 2002 5:47 PM -0800 Eric Hsu
<erichsu at math.sfsu.edu> wrote:

> I used to use Alpha all the time in OS9 with OzTeX. It was in fact the
> last Classic program I gave up, and only because (at the time) there were
> conflicts between Classic and Palm Desktop.
>
> Anyway, I tried BBEdit for a while, but never quite got the hang of the
> glossary thing. I'm now using Pepper (due to a recommendation on this
> list), and I'm almost very happy with it. (I was happy enough to buy it!)
> I love its flexibility defining keystroke shortcuts, and it even includes
> HTML Tidy.  It works okay with OzTeX.  It's speedy and pretty solid.
>
> Things I miss from Alpha:
>
> 1. The ability to tab out of parentheses to the big-dots.
> 2. More pre-built LaTeX templates... I forget options and names.
> 3. (When it worked,) the nice reformatting and tabbing of code.
>
> Things I don't miss:

> 2. Difficulty of changing keybindings.
> 3. Difficulty of changing fonts and line endings (Mac v. Unix v. DOS).
> 4. Slightly flaky syntax coloring with respect to quoted text.
>
> The tabbing to big-dots is really the only thing I actively miss. It's
> amazing how that small feature can speed up your entry.
>
> Rumor has it that Pepper 4 will be coming out someday. I wonder whether
> it will come out before Alpha X (which I would surely try if it came
> out...).
>
> Let me know if you find something even better!  (I'm not learning
> Emacs... sorry.)
>
> - Eric
> --
> Eric Hsu, Assistant Professor of Mathematics
> San Francisco State University
> erichsu at math.sfsu.edu
> http://math.sfsu.edu/hsu/

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.