[Mac OS X TeX] Re: emacs 21.1

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Sat Feb 23 14:49:48 CET 2002

EF> On February 22, Piet van Oostrum writes:
MG> What drove me to give up on emacs 21.1 and move to Xemacs is the
MG> still extant bug in Aqua Emacs that shell commands (like
MG> executing latex) don't work because the PATH variable isn't set
MG> correctly.  I'm sure it'll get fixed eventually.
>>
>> That's the easiests problem to solve. See my previous posting on the
>> .MacOSX/environment.plist

EF> It's even easier than that: just put (shell-command "tcsh")
EF> at the beginning of your .emacs file.

But that wouldn't change the PATH variable in emacs' environment, would it?

>> One thing that bothers me but doesn't stop me from using emacs is
>> that is hangs quite often. E.g. when I open a new .tex file with
>> auctex, it prompts for a master file, and then it hangs.

EF> You probably have a wrong configuration, since it does not happen with
EF> me.

What kind of configuration would that be?
I only get a hang when I open an empty (or create a new) .tex file, not
when it prompts for the master file of an existing .tex file. So I always
have to be careful not to open a new .tex file. I usually start with an
existing file or a copy of it and delete the contents of it. Or when I have
some TeX code in another buffer I use write-region. But it is annoying.
This happens only in a GUI emacs by the way not in a terminal window.
I also have some hangs when I try to edebug some function, but it happens
more randomly. I have seen other people mentioning problems with edebug.

I would like to get rid of these hangs, and I will try to compile the CVS
version of emacs some time later.

EF> I have just finished a nice Applescript wrap around emacs 21 on Aqua
EF> which allows for drag-and-drop of files to open them, automatic
EF> plan to have an installer with all the auctex/latex files and the
EF> wrapper file soon. I'm travelling this week so be patient.

Do you have a patch for this?
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum at hccnet.nl