[Mac OS X TeX] Trying to get something Alpha-ish in Mac OS X

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 18 22:52:25 CET 2002

I'm new to all things Emacs and fink-ish, but I'm trying to learn
Emacs for my LaTeX work since Alpha still isn't carbonized.  I miss
the wonderful LaTeX menu in Alpha, so I've been trying to find
something similar.  (Yes, TeXshop's LaTeX panel is lovely, but I'm
missing having a more powerful editor than TeXshop, e.g., turning "
into '', handling indentation levels right, etc.)

- My UNIX-using friends say that XEmacs (I've been playing with
carbonized Emacs 21) has that kind of support.  I decide to try fink
to get XEmacs.  "fink install xemacs" I say.  After several prompts
to make dependency choices that I don't completely grok, I go through
a long list of never being able to download
xemacs-base-1.56-pkg.tar.gz from a bunch of different mirrors.

- "Lyx" says another UNIX-using friend.  That's the way to get that
kind of support.  So I try "fink install lyx".  After another bunch
of dependency selections that I don't grok, I get to trying to
download xdvi-22.48.tar.gz from
ftp://ftp.math.berkeley.edu/pub/Software/TeX/ ...which never works.
I go to the forementioned FTP site and find that versions 49, 50, and
51 are out there, but 48 is now long dead and gone.  How do I
convince fink of that?  I tried doing the sudo dselect mantra
described at http://fink.sourceforge.net, and while that gave me a
bunch of crypto options, it didn't make xdvi any easier to load.

Is there some magic to fink that I'm not understanding?

What editors are others of you using in Mac OS X?  Anything you
particularly recommend as being as helpful as Alpha?

Can anyone suggest some nice emacs packages for LaTeX work?  I've
found and downloaded auctex and reftex, but don't quite understand
the installation instructions yet.

Thanks!
  Mark

--
Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.