[Mac OS X TeX] eps drawings (Mac OS X)

Siep siepo at cybercomm.nl
Sat Feb 9 10:01:20 CET 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002 18:26:49 -0500
Arun Mangalam <arun_mangalam at mac.com> wrote:

> What is something that a normal TeX-er would use that needs Illustrator?
> just curious, since I maybe missing out on something here.

For logo design you want the best Bezier tools you can get. Also, if you
need to edit other people's eps files, you can probably just read them
into Illustrator. Plus, for professional printing you may need cmyk- and
spot color support.

I have been using Illustrator 9 under os9. It does have its problems,
though: mysterious crashes with very simple files; failure to take apart
compound Bezier curves; other people cited problems with using TeX fonts.
I now got CorelDRAW 10 for osx but it is too soon to tell how it is going
to work out. Under Linux I use Sketch, but it is too limited for some
things.

So I am certainly not claiming that Illustrator is always the best tool
for the job. If a simpler, more stable program fills your needs, be happy
and leave Illustrator alone.

Siep

> xfig works nicely under rootless X [use fink to install easily].
>
> Also, if you have an inclination for an elegant mathematical approach
> graphics, then MetaPost is very nice. By giving only some contextual
> information, it is able to figure out the rest [using linear equations].
> For example, you could specify the size and location of objects relative
> to each other, and specify tangent lines to a curve, etc.
>
> Like Berndt says below, OmniGraffle is very nice. I got to play with it,
> since a fully licensed version came with the new G4's.
>
> - Arun
>
> On Friday, February 8, 2002, at 04:53 PM, Fredrik Wallenberg wrote:
>
> > Agree... but as indicated, you can also use Illustrator (and there are
> > some things that you cannot do with OmniGraffle... or Stone's Create).
> >
> > Fredrik
> >
> > On Friday, February 8, 2002, at 01:26 PM, B. Farwer wrote:
> >

> >> OmniGraffle (in combination with OmniOutliner to produce hierarchical
> >> diagrammes). It produces beautiful graphics in a fraction of the time
> >> it used to take me in Illustrator. Exports to all main formats
> >> including EPS and PDF.
> >>
> >> Berndt

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.