[Mac OS X TeX] Trying to get something Alpha-ish in Mac OS X

Peter Erwin erwin at ll.iac.es
Tue Feb 19 16:08:26 CET 2002

>What editors are others of you using in Mac OS X?  Anything you
>particularly recommend as being as helpful as Alpha?

For what it's worth, I'm sufficiently addicted to using Alpha for
LaTeX work (and
Python work, and ...) that I'm still using it in MacOS X.  It's
running in Classic,
of course, but so far I haven't found that to be a big problem.  It
can still communicate
with (Carbonized) OzTeX, so I can type Cmd-T and get the file I'm working on
TeX'd up (though sometimes I have to type it twice, since the first Cmd-T just
switches me to OzTeX).

But if you don't want to run Classic, for whatever reason, then that's not an
option, obviously.  Pepper is a possiblity, though I couldn't get
quite as comfortable
with it as I am with Alpha.

I keep thinking there must be a way of telling Alpha to emit some Apple Events
which could (via shell commands, say) run command-line TeX, so I
could use some-
thing other than OzTeX, if I wanted to... but I don't have the time
to learn Tcl in
addition to Applescript and Bourne shell.

cheers,

Peter
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.