[Mac OS X TeX] Running latex from the command line

William May wdmay at mac.com
Sun Feb 3 03:55:09 CET 2002

The only TeX I have installed is the teTeX from the TeXshop web page.
This was installed automatically, and is at /usr/local/teTeX. I just did
a "find" from the root directory to make sure. Since the previous
message I have also encountered a similar error running dvips (actually
the error comes from metafont): "I can't find the base file `mf.base'!"
I find this file is at /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/mf.base.
I also find the file latex.fmt at
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/latex.fmt. So both files exist,
and are presumably at the right locations (since TeXShop works fine).
Are there environment variables that need to be set?

On Saturday, February 2, 2002, at 01:52 PM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On Saturday, February 2, 2002, at 06:01 , William May wrote:
>
>> I recently started using TeXShop with quite good results. However when
>> I try to run latex from the command line (i.e. terminal window) I get
>> the error: "I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!". Does anyone
>> know how I can get latex going? Thanks!
>
> This depens on which TeX you have installed. Problems like these occur
> when you have another TeX installed as well. Probably this TeX, and not
> the one that TeXShop is configured for, is found and the TeX that is
> founc on the command line is not configured/installed correctly.
>
> With 'which tex' and 'where tex' you can find out.

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.