[Mac OS X TeX] How many TeX's for OSX are there now ?

Benji Fisher fisherbb at bc.edu
Mon Feb 11 20:13:07 CET 2002

On Monday, February 11, 2002, at 06:25 AM, Michael Murray wrote:

>> Thanks, this is very useful!
>>
>> Just one small remark that may help to get an even more complete
>> picture.
>>
>> Michael Murray wrote:
>> []
>>>  (b) teTeX from Fink.  Not sure why you would do this instead of
>>>  Gerben's teTeX. Particularly
>>>  as most (all ?) of the applications below which rely on you having a
>>>  teTeX are assuming it is
>>>  Gerben's.   But its there.
>>
>> There are a couple of good reasons to do this:
>>
>> - Ease of installation: If you have Fink installed, you just say
>>   "fink install tetex-macosx" or "fink install bundle-tetex",
>>   and it takes care of all the rest.
>>   No need to know the latest URL of Gerben's packages.
>>   And you can watch what it is doing while it compiles the binaries.
>> - Stability: If there are any conflicts with the rest of the Fink
>> packages,
>>   you can be pretty sure the maintainer of the Fink tetex packages will
>>   resolve them quickly.
>> [snip]

> Hi Martin
>
> Thanks for that. I was thinking of the package called tetex-base which
> I thought that was a more standard tetex install and not Gerben's
> tetex unless you installed tetex-macosx over the top or something?
>
> To be honest I am not sure of the various choices here so I would
> be greatful if anyone could clarify them.
>
> I guess I should just email Dave Morrison !
> [snip]

      Another possible reason for using tetex with Fink is that you can
use xdvi and other tools under XDarwin.  This provides one solution to
the "All my figures are in eps format, not pdf" problem; there are other
solutions, of course.

HTH					--Benji Fisher

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.