[OS X TeX] German "Umlaute" in Index

Andreas Gschwendtner andreas_gschwendtner at yahoo.de
Mon Aug 12 11:29:53 CEST 2002

Hi everybody,

Does anybody know how to make LaTeX on Mac Os X print Umlaute (ÄÖÜäöü)
properly in the index? I enter them in my Document using the following
method: Ä="A, ü="ü and so on. This works fine everywhere within the
Document, but not in the Index... Here ä becomes a for Example. Besides
that, the index looks fine. I use the "makeidx" package and the "\index"
command.

Sorry if this post is off topic -- but this is not a problem on my Windows
Computer using the MiKTeX distribution. So it is somehow Mac-related...

I am using a Powerbook G4-500, Mac OS X 10.1.5, the teTex distribution
modified for OS X by Gerben Wierda and TeXShop or ITeXMac as an
Editor/Viewer.

Thanks for any help!

Andreas

"help" (no quotes) in the body.