[OS X TeX] Howto install .pfb fonts on Mac OS X?

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus at mac.com
Thu Aug 8 16:50:58 CEST 2002

Download the pfaedit i-Package that Gerben has put together (don't remember the url), and install it.  Then use a simple script something like:

open ("font.pfb")
generate ("font.otf")

I think to call the script you use pfaedit -script scriptfile.

I don't remember if my syntax is correct, but the idea is to use pfaedit to convert the font to OpenType, which will work with OS X.

Bruce

On Thursday, Aug 08, 2002, at 07:21AM, Otto Poellath <lists at poellath.org> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm sorry if this is actually unrelated to TeX and LaTeX, but since
>there's quite a couple of font experts on this list, I couldn't resist
>to ask..
>
>I received a font in .pfb and .pfm format, and need to get it to work
>with Mac OS X applications like Photoshop, but not TeX or LaTeX.
>Since simply dropping them in ~/Library/Fonts didn't make them
>available,  I searched the web and found the t1utils package on Marc
>Liyanage's site (www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/). The manpage for the
>included t1mac states that
>
>t1mac reads a PFA (hexadecimal) or PFB (binary) PostScript Type 1 font
>file and  generates  an  equivalent  Macintosh Type  1 font file
>
>but
>
>WARNING:  The output of t1mac is not sufficient to use the font, since
>Macintoshes can't read raw Type 1  fonts.  You will  need  to  create
>a  font suitcase containing bitmap fonts if you do not have such  a
>suitcase  for  the  font already.  t1mac cannot help you do this.
>
>So right now I'm stuck, since I have no idea how to create a font
>suitcase. If anyone could help, I'd greatly appreciate it.
>
>TIA,
>-Otto.

>"help" (no quotes) in the body.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.