[OS X TeX] Installing MusiXTeX

Gerben Wierda Sherlock at rna.nl
Mon Aug 19 20:03:40 CEST 2002

On Monday, August 19, 2002, at 07:19 , Mark Guzdial wrote:

> I'm sorry -- I should have been clearer.  I did try making it a level
> lower than texmf.  So, I created ~/Library/texmf/musixtex and put the
> .sty files there, but they weren't found.  It sounds like I should have
> made ~/Library/texmf/tex/musixtex.

No, just read it directly: you should have made ~/Library/texmf/tex. If
at all you wanteds to use a separate dir for musixtex, it should thus
have been ~/Library/texmf/tex/musixtex.

> (I did sudo texhash after each rearrangement.)

Which is not necessary when you add stuff to ~/Library/texmf/... because
it stays outside texhash.

> I did also try the fonts in ~/Library/texmf/fonts/ but I probably
> didn't do all the intermediate type1 and source subdirectories right.

MFINPUTS = .;$TEXMF/metafont//;{$TEXMF/fonts,$VARTEXFONTS}/source//
VFFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/vf//
TFMFONTS = .;{$TEXMF/fonts,$VARTEXFONTS}/tfm//
PKFONTS = .;{$TEXMF/fonts,$VARTEXFONTS}/pk/{$MAKETEX_MODE,modeless}//
GFFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/gf/$MAKETEX_MODE//
% A backup for PKFONTS and GFFONTS. Not used for anything.
GLYPHFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts
MISCFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/misc//
T1FONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/type1//
AFMFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/afm//
TTFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/truetype//
T42FONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/type42//

In other words:
	mf in (any subdirectory of) ~/Library/texmf/fonts/source
	tfm in (any subdirectory of) ~/Library/texmf/fonts/tfm
	type1 in (any subdirectory of) ~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1
	truetype in (any subdirectory of) ~/Library/texmf/fonts/truetype

etc. will just work.

> I tried the dvips musix.map in ~/Library/texmf/dvips, but perhaps I
> needed more layers there, too.

After you put the map in  ~/Library/texmf/dvips/config, you need to add
the map to your dvips/pdftex setting with the command

	updmap --enable Map musixtex.map

"help" (no quotes) in the body.