[OS X TeX] owner and groups in teTeX

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Sun Aug 4 15:23:31 CEST 2002

Le dimanche 4 août 2002, à 01:54 , Irina Rosenthal a écrit :

> [...]
>
> When I had a look across the directory hierarchies, I discovered
> something
> strange:
>
> ll /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/ gives this result:
>
> drwxr-xr-x  28 root  wheel     908 Jul 14 16:46 .
> drwxr-xr-x   7 root  wheel     194 Jul 10 15:20 ..
> -rw-r--r--   1 1340  100     10828 May 30 21:39 ChangeLog
> -rw-r--r--   1 1340  100       827 Mar 31 22:56 aliases
> drwxr-xr-x   5 1340  1340      264 Jun 27 19:45 bibtex
> drwxr-xr-x   5 1340  1340      264 May 19 19:58 context
> drwxr-xr-x  36 1340  1340     1180 Jul 16 12:13 doc
> drwxr-xr-x   4 root  admin     264 Jun 27 19:45 dvipdfm
> drwxr-xr-x  15 root  wheel     466 Jul  1 11:27 dvips
>
> Here is something totally wrong with owner and group ID's. Could someone
> explain me, what happened here?
>
> [...]

I'm not sure this is connected with teTeX actually. Starting two weeks
ago some folders on my disk began to inherit fancy ownerships, the
"user" and "group" associated with them turned into apparently random
numbers, so that for example I could no longer modify the folder
/Applications (whereas I am administrator of my computer) apart from
going back to Terminal.app and using "sudo" for everything; then, for
example, installer .pkg packages or installer programs reported a "fail"
to write to this folder.

Then things went even worse : the "user" and "group" were restored to
real names; unfortunately it wasn't my name but that of another account
owner on my computer, with no administrator privileges.

Eventually I had to use "chown" for changing every permissions file by
file and folder by folder, hoping I would guess sensible values and not
mess anything on my system.

I don't know where this problem comes from. Since I more than often
experiment with my computer, installing software then removing it, I
thought I had done something bad at some point. Apparently there are
several of us experiencing the problem. I thought this could be caused
by Virex 7.1 (I recently subscribed to .Mac and installed Virex), some
kind of protection against viruses; and maybe this started when I
started using Pseudo.app.

There might be something about this problem in Apple's support web
pages, but I still can't find my way through these pages.

Bruno Voisin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.