[OS X TeX] Howto install .pfb fonts on Mac OS X?

Otto Poellath lists at poellath.org
Thu Aug 8 16:21:08 CEST 2002

Hi,

I'm sorry if this is actually unrelated to TeX and LaTeX, but since
there's quite a couple of font experts on this list, I couldn't resist
to ask..

I received a font in .pfb and .pfm format, and need to get it to work
with Mac OS X applications like Photoshop, but not TeX or LaTeX.
Since simply dropping them in ~/Library/Fonts didn't make them
available,  I searched the web and found the t1utils package on Marc
Liyanage's site (www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/). The manpage for the
included t1mac states that

t1mac reads a PFA (hexadecimal) or PFB (binary) PostScript Type 1 font
file and  generates  an  equivalent  Macintosh Type  1 font file

but

WARNING:  The output of t1mac is not sufficient to use the font, since
Macintoshes can't read raw Type 1  fonts.  You will  need  to  create
a  font suitcase containing bitmap fonts if you do not have such  a
suitcase  for  the  font already.  t1mac cannot help you do this.

So right now I'm stuck, since I have no idea how to create a font
suitcase. If anyone could help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

TIA,
-Otto.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.