[OS X TeX] Re: Launching Alphatk from OzTeX

Andrew Trevorrow andrew at trevorrow.com
Sun Aug 25 14:16:15 CEST 2002

> Since this is an OzTeX question I'll ask it here rather than on
> AlphaTcl-user.

A better place would be the oztex-info mailing list.  Details on how to
subscribe are at http://www.trevorrow.com/oztex/.

> Does anyone know how to get OzTeX to launch Alphatk when you type <Cmd
> e>.  I tried setting
> 	"text_editor= AlTk"
> in the Local config file.  This produces an error: Could not find text
> editor with this signature "AlTk"

One solution is to rebuild your desktop file(s) from OS 9.  OzTeX searches
these files to locate an app using a given signature, but unfortunately
there seems to be a bug in the OS X Finder that causes the desktop files
to become incorrect.

Another solution is to download this beta version of OzTeX 5.1:

ftp://ftp.trevorrow.com/beta/oztex51b1.sit

The archive assumes you are already using OzTeX 5.0.  Just replace your
existing Oz* apps with the new versions in the archive.

The new apps use a new strategy to find other applications which should
avoid the need to rebuild your desktop files when a requested application
can't be found.  If the desktop search fails then you'll be asked if you
want to manually search for the application using the standard open-file
dialog.  The chosen application will be remembered (in Oz* Prefs) and used
the next time the desktop search fails.

There are a couple of other nice new features in this beta release so make
sure you read the Changes file.

> I also tried calling Alphatk using a unix command but could not get it
> to accept the default file to launch.  I was able to launch Alphatk this
> way, just not pass a file name.

I don't have Alphatk so can't test this, but if you can type in a
suitable open command in Terminal that tells Alphatk to open a given file
then you should be able to do the same thing from OzTeX.  (I won't bother
going into more detail because the above solution should work.)

Andrew

"help" (no quotes) in the body.