Official answer: [OS X TeX] owner and groups in teTeX

Gerben Wierda Sherlock at rna.nl
Mon Aug 5 10:11:00 CEST 2002

Since this is about my distribution, here is the official answer:

- Every file in a unix environment has a owner and a group, which are a
user-id and a group-id. These are integer numbers. When ls displays
them, it tries to match them with existing users on the system. If there
is no user or group with that specific number on your system, it will
display the number instead of the name.
- I have designed my setup such that what is on your system is an exact
copy of my system when I do the build
- When it is installed, I preserve these ownership and group information
on file, again to make sure there is only one variation of the system
around (otherwise, ownership might differ on different systems and
possible consequences could in theory hamper my support)
- What I do in my build phase is to make sure the permissions of files
and directories are OK such that it can be used (every file will be at
least world readable) (Since the texmf tree hardly ever changes and
setting every bit on every file is a lengthy process, I removed that
step from a standard build a while back and I need to do it by hand
after I have installed a new texmf release myself. This is something I
might forget to do of course, but the texmf tree itself is normally in
an OK state so it does not matter. My action is just insurance).

So, what you see are the user ids and group ids in the original teTeX
texmf release. This is harmless, as I have made sure the permissions are
ok for normal use (your TeX works, doesn't it?)

> De facto, I tried to open some documentation files in TeXShop and this
> failed, probably due to this problem.

Probably not due to this problem. But if you do have a problem, it is
best to say exactly what you are doing. And to be complete in describing
what happens (a bit more than 'this failed' ;-)

Ignoring the adagium that one should not fix something that is not
broken, I have decided to overrule the ownership in the future and thus
new releases will have all files owned by root.admin.

Yours,

(And now back to working on a new release for Mac OS X 10.2)

"help" (no quotes) in the body.