[OS X TeX] Installing MusiXTeX

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Aug 18 22:15:41 CEST 2002

I finally typeset some music, but not without difficulties!

The short form is that I couldn't get TeX (I only have Gerben's
distribution installed) to recognize ~/Library/texmf/ at all.  Nothing I
put there, from .sty files to updmap.cfg ever got recognized (e.g., I'd
put musixtex.sty in ~/Library/texmf, do sudo texhash, and then try to
compile a test file that did \usepackage{musixtex} and TeX would
complain that musixtex.sty wasn't found).  So, I ended up using sudo a
lot and putting the various files in various places.

First, I downloaded musixps-unix.tar.gz (Postscript fonts) and
musixtex-T108.tar.gz from the Werner Icking Music Archive
(http://icking-music-archive.sunsite.dk/software/indexmt6.html) which is
just wonderful.

To install the PostScript fonts:
- I put the .pfb files in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/type1/musixtex
- I copied the musix.map from the musicps distribution folders dvipdfm
and dvips into and /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/dvipdfm/config and
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/dvips/config respectively.
- I modified the /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/updmap.cfg
file to include Map musix.map at the bottom of it

To install the musixtex package:
- I copied the musixtex mf files into
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/source/musixtex/
- I copied the tfm files into
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/musixtex/
- I copied the tex files into
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/musixtex/

I executed:
- sudo texhash
- sudo updmap

And all works!

If anyone knows where/how I did this wrong, I'd appreciate the tips!
It's nice to have this working, but I hope not to have to replicate this
process each time I update!

Best wishes,
   Mark

"help" (no quotes) in the body.