[OS X TeX] Re: More on Illustrator 10 Font Problems with TeXShop / TeTex

hills_tex at tina.stanford.edu hills_tex at tina.stanford.edu
Mon Apr 1 06:20:02 CEST 2002

Hi Gordon,
  I think the problem is a how Illustrator 10 handles fonts and PDF import/
export.  (Freehand 10 wasn't much better for reading the PDFs, by the way.)

Secondly, when you ran "Tex and ghostscript", you were probably embedding a
bitmapped font in your PDF (so it renders the correct symbol, but ugly).

The only way that I've found to work is to keep everything in postscript up
until you produce your final document:

  i.e., if you want to set an equation and then load it into illustrator:

    1) Create a postscript file with type 1 fonts:
         latex test.tex
         dvips -z -P www test
    2) edit the file in Illustrator as postscript
         (the fonts seemed fine here)
    3) save out as postscript, and load back in to latex that way...

  I would only output a PDF for final printing:
    1) create a postscript file with type 1 fonts
         (as above)
    2) distiller
         (probably other options here)

A couple of notes:

  DVIPS -z -P www  This reads in the file "config.www" which, by default,
           ^^^^^^  calls the "bsr.map" and "bsr-interpolate.map" files
                   to enable the type-1 encoding.  you could just as easily
                   make up your own config file, or you can create the file
                   ".dvipsrc" in your home directory with the line:
                   "p +bsr.map"  (without the quotes)

  Illustrator      Exporting from Illustrator is also a problem.  Even
  & PDFs           when the file is read in as postscript and the fonts are
                   fine, saving it out as a PDF file causes problems.
                  (it won't print correctly from acrobat; in fact, it
                   made a font substitution on me: it changed the CMSY10 "-"
                   to something in the Symbol font)

  PDFs & TeX       This really seems to be a promising route, and the TeXShop
                   application is pretty nice.  I'm a bit discouraged
                   by problems like this with the fonts (not that PS is
                   lots better--I'd love to be proved wrong and learn of
                   a font 'solution'), and what I'd really like is to be
                   able to include EPS graphics directly -- sort of a one-stop
                   TeX distiller!

  Illustration     As a sidenote, I had a lot of problem getting
  Apps             Illustrator 10 EPS files to read into InDesign 2, and
                   switched to PDF-based exports there; I think using older
                   EPS formats might work better.  What a mess. -- I would
                   gladly abandon illustrator if I could find another program
                   that dealt with postscript files well! (Acrobat=>PDF=>
                   Freehand is tempting, but the latter is a shade unstable,
                   and the earlier versions that I use for most of my
                   illustration work don't import as robustly))

Matt

"help" (no quotes) in the body.