[OS X TeX] printing help?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Apr 4 08:57:23 CEST 2002

> we have a finished paper [pdf] with lots of equations and some graphs.
>
> graphs: we have a X - Y graph with a couple curved lines on it and on
> each line there are 2 points (dots) -no big deal, very simple looking.
>
> on the screen we see the dots, in print we see the dots -BUT when we
> email it to a collaborator who uses a PC and he prints it, the dots are
> missing.

How did you put the dots there?
Are they really dots --- a filled circle, say
or are they a font-character
  --- e.g. a 'bullet': Option-8 on a Mac keyboard,
           for a Mac-encoded font.

I can certainly understand a PC not being able to render the bullet;
but if it's a filled circle, then there shouldn't be a problem.

> further, we have noticed a difference between Acrobat Reader 4.0 and
> Acrobat Reader 5.0 in whether we see the dots on the *screen*:
> in 4 we don't, in 5 we do; but both give dots when printed.

Hmm; sounds like you've used a font character, and it's a font problem.
Please confirm.
Better still, provide a URL so the PDF can be downloaded.

> that's fine for us, but why can't the other guy get the dots printed?
> (i'm not at work and forgot whether he sees them on screen -he's not
> there but the email is!
>
> i'll get this info straight Friday, but i believe the process is
> something like (Mac OS9): OzteX5/MacGS PPC/Acrobat Reader.

Hope this helps,

	Ross

> thanks in advance.
>
> -Ted