[OS X TeX] accents +

jerome LAURENS jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
Thu Apr 18 10:53:17 CEST 2002

Le jeudi 18 avril 2002, à 09:58 AM, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

>>> TeXShop in Pdftex mode displays letters with accents  \`a \'n
>>> correctly
>>> but printing is messed up. I switched to TeX - Ghostscript
>>> and printed the ps file. Everything was as it supposed to be.
>>> Is this a limitation of Pdftex, TeXShop, OS X, or what?
>>

>> I put the following as the first line in my .tex files
>>
>> \input special_keys
>>
>> I learned this trick a few years ago  on an Alpha mailing list.
>> The file was somewhere on an A;pha site, I do not remember where,
>> so I copy it here.
>>
>> [snip]
>
> The file special_keys looks pretty much like an extract from
> option_keys, from the Textures distribution. I couldn't find this file
> anywhere on their FTP site, but since the file says it's in the public
> domain I guess it makes no harm including it here.
>
> There's a file 8bitdefs.tex in the OzTeX distribution, with the same
> functionality though implemented differently. All that, anyway, isn't
> necessary in LaTeX 2e, where you just type
>
> \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}
>
> (possibly accompanied by \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}) to get the same
> result.
>
> The latter solution, I think, is also the only one which stills works
> should the file be sent to other platforms (provided the applemac above
> is replaced by the proper name, latin1 for example on UNIX machines).

Not exactly

if you send a mac tex file to another platform, either with 8bitsdefs,
option_key or inputenc, it will compile fine, but you will not be able
to edit correctly the file except if the text editor is mac friendly
(accented chars will be wrong).

If you change the option in inputenc (applemac -> latin1 for example)
and send the file to the other platform, you will not be able to compile
the file nor edit it correctly unless you have changed the encoding and
probably the line endings too.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.