[OS X TeX] How do the i-Installers work?

Holger Frauenrath mail at frauenrath.com
Wed Apr 10 15:03:25 CEST 2002

I am sorry for this presumably stupid question, but I always wondered. I
guess I still do not quite get the idea. Today the "dedicated installer"
that I had downloaded with TeX-fat did *not* detect any new version of TeX
(programs and foundation) ... I have tried to find the answers on Gerben's
webpage and from the built-in help, but could not find them. If they are
answered in some FAQ then please do not hesitate to just point me to it.

I would like to know:

- How does the iInstaller know which packages I have installed? I am
asking, because, when I open it, it opens windows for TeX-programs,
TeX-foundation and GS-6 automatically. I have downloaded and installed
GS-7, which it does not open a window for automatically. Is that the
supposed behaviour?

- Where is it supposed to download the packages or updates to? I am asking
because the package GS-7, for instance, is in ~/Library/Caches/i-Installer
(although I am pretty sure I had run it authenticated!?), but I cannot
find the other packages anywhere. There is no folder "i-Installer" in
/Library/Caches/ at all.

Thanks for your help.
Holger

--
Dr. Holger Frauenrath
Department of Materials and Life Sciences

Phone: (847) 491-5950
Fax: (847) 491-3010
Email: mail at frauenrath.com
Web: www.frauenrath.com