[OS X TeX] Re: OzTeX can't find BBEdit

Adrian Heathcote adrian.heathcote at philosophy.usyd.edu.au
Thu Apr 25 14:21:46 CEST 2002

> What's so hard about booting OS 9?

There is a problem booting up too frequently in OS9, as I have just
discovered. Recently I had to boot into OS9 twice in the space of a
week---I hadn't previously done it for months. After going back to OSX,
my PB500 now crashes when it goes to sleep---only a restart will do.
This had never happened until I went to OS9.

Coincidence, you might think? It seems not. There were reports on
MacCentral just a few weeks ago on this---and it seems Apple knows of
the problem. Booting into OS9 seems to progressively weaken your
computer, giving it the problem many people experienced on early OS9
systems---and known, cutely, as 'the sleep of death'.

I can't say I'm impressed by Apple's failure to warn its users.

(I should add the obligatory OSX caveat---some users have not
experienced this problem and I have no idea what distinguishes those
that do from those that don't.)

> HTWH

Adrian Heathcote