[OS X TeX] ttf2tfm?

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus at mac.com
Wed Apr 17 00:38:16 CEST 2002

On 4/16/02 2:59 PM, "Mark Moll" <mmoll at cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

> I have used pfaedit to generate afm's and pfb's from ttf's. With a few minor
> tweaks pfaedit compiles out of the box. It has a X11 gui, but you can run it
> with scripts (without a gui). It can read .dfont files and OS 9 fonts that
> are stored in rsrc forks. See http://pfaedit.sf.net. I install the fonts
> with famtool.pl, which uses fontinst.

It turns out that while ttf2tex requires freetype, freetype does not require
X11.

I've ran into a couple problems though.  One is that the source code for
ttf2tfm doesn't compile perfectly.  I get this error:

> [localhost:freetype-1.3.1/contrib/ttf2pk] bdarcus% make
> cc -c -g -O2  -I./../../lib  -I.  -DHAVE_LIBM=1  errormsg.c
> cc -c -g -O2  -I./../../lib  -I.  -DHAVE_LIBM=1  filesrch.c
> cc -c -g -O2  -I./../../lib  -I.  -DHAVE_LIBM=1  ligkern.c
> ligkern.c:231: syntax error, missing `;' after `lig'
> ligkern.c:240: syntax error, missing `;' after `lig'

I don't know what to make of this.

The other thing (or maybe its related?) is that ttf2tfm can't map a whole
lot of characters.  I'm most concerned about ligatures, which it gets
confused by.  I don't understand enough about fonts and TeX to know if this
is unavoidable, or some kind of error.

??

Bruce

"help" (no quotes) in the body.