[OS X TeX] Re: warmreader

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Apr 26 08:13:07 CEST 2002

> > We have a tutorial we have written describing this process if anyone is
> > interested. Keep in mind that it was written for our students, so it is
> > not
> > meant to be a complete tutorial with every detail.
>
> Yes that sounds interesting.
>
> I read _very_ rapidly the description on WARMreader's web page and came
> out with the impression that labeling Mathematica graphics was not
> straightforward. So I decided I would try that when I have time
> available for experimenting -- which is close to never.

If you have Adobe Illustrator, and the MarkedObjects plug-in,
then creating the .bb file is a snap,
whatever the original application that made the .eps file.

The instructions you read were for making a .mbb file,
*directly in Mathematica*, using its Front-End software.
In this case, there are 2 different ways to "Save as EPS",
which give different results. You have to muck-around a bit
to "get it right", according to whichever way you do that save.

> Your mail seems to say this is all straightforward indeed, so yes it's
> very interesting.

Gary and Francesco use the Illustrator/MarkedObjects combination.
This is indeed straight-forward; though the plug-in is still
only beta, having some known bugs.

(BTW, in positioning labels, it helps to know a bit about Xy-pic.
This is especially so if you want to use arrows, circles, rectangles
etc. tied to the text/math labels.)

However, the WaRMreader package can be used without the plug-in.
The method is sufficiently flexible, that you "can" define
your own formats for storing the coordinate data;
then "program" a set of TeX macros to match that format.
That's what the 'reader' means, in the name.

If you are adventurous enough to try this...

There are 4 or 5 examples of different formats in the macro file:
 warmreader.tex  --- doubtless someone will say that you need to be
a TeX magician to even try to read this file.

That's probably true.  :-)

Certainly you need to understand pattern-matching for TeX macros,
far beyond what is normal with LaTeX.

One example takes files of city names and locations (latitude/longitude
expressed in degrees/minutes/seconds) and transforms it to rectangular
coords over a Robinson Projection of a map of the world.

That this is possible is an indication of how powerful TeX can be,
as a programming language.

Have fun,

	Ross

> Bruno Voisin