[OS X TeX] Matrices in Equations Help

Zachary Davis zsd3711 at gamma2.uta.edu
Tue Apr 2 03:18:02 CEST 2002

Monday, 1 April 2002

Hello,

I was hoping that one of you might be able to help me with a
misunderstanding about typesetting matrix equations in LaTeX.  I have
read through the table and matrices sections of Kopka & Daly's book
(Chapters 4 & 5), but I seem to be missing something in which teTeX
isn't happy with.  My source looks something like the following:

\begin{equation}
\[
\left[
\begin{array}{llcl}
(\vec{e_1},\vec{e_1}) & (\vec{e_1},\vec{e_2}) & \cdots &
(\vec{e_1},\vec{e_n})\\
(\vec{e_2},\vec{e_1}) & (\vec{e_2},\vec{e_2}) & \cdots &
(\vec{e_2},\vec{e_n})\\
\multicolumn{4}{c}\dotfill\\
(\vec{e_n},\vec{e_1}) & (\vec{e_n},\vec{e_2}) & \cdots &
(\vec{e_n},\vec{e_n})
\end{array} \right]

\left[
\begin{array}{c}
c_1\\
c_2\\
\vdots \\
c_n
\end{array} \right]

=

\left[
\begin{array}{c}
(\vec{f},\vec{e_1})\\
(\vec{f},\vec{e_2})\\
\vdots \\
(\vec{f},\vec{e_n})
\end{array} \right]
\]
\end{equation}

I was hoping this would typeset two matrices being multiplied by each
other and which were equal to a third array, and of course have an
equation number next to it.  Any help about where I went wrong would be
appreciated.

Thanks,

Zachary S. Davis
Department of Aerospace Engineering
University of Texas at Arlington
P.O. Box 19032
Arlington, TX 76019

Home:    (817) 272-6418            zsd3711 at gamma2.uta.edu
Office:     (817) 272-5269

          “Genius, that power that dazzles mortal eyes,
	  is oft but perseverance in disguise."

			--Henry Willard Austin
"help" (no quotes) in the body.