[OS X TeX] BibDesk 0.7b -- broken newapa preview

Michael McCracken michael_mccracken at mac.com
Fri Apr 5 10:02:22 CEST 2002

I've noticed this problem with the preview in bibdesk also. The
previewer is none other than pdftex  -- here's what happens: bibdesk
writes out a temporary .bib file, runs pdftex,bibtex,pdftex on a very
simple tex file that has \nocite{*}, then loads the resulting pdf into
the previewer.

So (take into account that I'm not an expert on TeX/LaTeX), my guess
about why newapa and other styles choke is that I'm using TeX instead of
LaTeX, or my simple template is just dumb.

A great contribution for someone who uses bibdesk and knows LaTeX better
than me would be to take a look at the .tex file it copies into
~/Application Support/BibDesk/ and come up with one that will work with
these styles and look good in the previewer window. I'm sure my template
is embarrassingly dumb.

If you want details about what it needs to do to work right with
bibdesk, mail me privately.

Oh, and a user noted this bug in the current version (and all previous
ones, probably): It doesn't actually listen to the tex & bibtex path
preferences. it will always try to use the path to Gerben Wierda's teTeX
distribution's version of pdftex and bibtex. Unfortunately this will
make creating an appropriate LaTeX template file more challenging...

- - mike

On Wednesday, April 3, 2002, at 06:26  AM, Oscar Chavez wrote:

> At 10:51 PM -0600 4/1/02, Michael McCracken wrote:
>> Some awfully desirable features are still missing, notably the preview
>> window is still annoyingly un-zoomable. Sometimes you just can't do it
>> all...
>
> I have to use the dreadful APA style, so I use newapa as my
> bibliography style. The preview has some overlapped characters. My
> guess is that instead of writing [1], and then the reference, BibDesk's
> previewer is writing [Kuhs & Ball (1986)] and then the reference, but
> it seems to be that BibDesk leaves just enough room for one character
> or two between the brackets. I'm so glad with the way BibDesk works,
> that this is a minor inconvenience with which I'm willing to live.
> However, it would be nice to put this in a 'to do' list.
>
> -- Oscar Chavez
> oc918 at mizzou.edu
>
> To you I'm an atheist, but to God I'm the loyal opposition.
>
>     -- Woody Allen

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.

- --
Michael McCracken