[OS X TeX] ANNOUNCE mbtimes font package

Michel Bovani michel.bovani at wanadoo.fr
Mon Apr 1 12:29:33 CEST 2002

Le 1/04/02 3:00, « Gary L. Gray » <gray at engr.psu.edu> a écrit :

> On 3/31/02 3:35 PM, "Michel Bovani" <michel.bovani at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
>> Its a font package with more possibilities than mathptmx and (probably) less
>> quality than mathtimes (but it is free).
>
> This looks very interesting and your installation instructions are
> excellent. I do have one question though (see below).
>
>> 7 - uses for blackboard bold the esstix14 font from elsevier free esstix
>> distribution. Note that you are *not* allowed to
>>
>> * distribute this font alone
>> * modify this font
>
> Regarding the esstix font. Where exactly does one install all the files
> associated with this font?

Only ESSTIX14 is installed (I make a tfm file with fontinst). The other
esstix fonts are not usable with mbtimes. I put esstix archive in my package
only because I was not sure to be allowed to distribute only esstix14...

> What command do I use to access the blackboard
> fonts -- is it the same command as is used in AMS-LaTeX, i.e., \mathbb?

Yes. See in mbtimes.sty \mathbb is redefined \AtBeginDocument. I think that
esstix mathbb suits best with times than amssymb mathbb. In future release,
it shoulb be an option anyway (e.g. \usepackage[essbb]{mbtimes})

> Since it looks like the esstix font might act as a complete replacement for
> the additional fonts in AMS-LaTeX, can we simply load AMS-LaTeX via (without
> the amssymb package), as in:

mbtimes provides only what provides stantard cm, but with a look wich suits
the times design (I hope...) : essentially more weight, but some sumbols
(calligraphics, sommation, and generally big operators) were totally
redesigned.

It alos provides a \mathbb command, and (for compatibility with amsmath)
\lvert, \rvert, \lVert, \rVert.

> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
> \usepackage{mbtimes}
> \usepackage{amsmath}
> \usepackage{bm}
> \usepackage{exscale}
> \usepackage[mathscr]{eucal}

I think you can do it but exscale for instance is not usefull because it
extend the cm family and mbtimes switch to another family.

In fact you may use any font package, provided it don't switch back to cm...
You can even use the amssymb package, I think. Of course it should be best
to redesign all glyphs of amssymb (or use esstix) but it should be a big
work.

> If not, how do I access all these other esstix fonts?

Unless you make tfm, vf, encoding vectors, latex interface... you can't, I
am afraid...
--
Michel Bovani

"help" (no quotes) in the body.