[OS X TeX] accents +

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Apr 18 11:11:38 CEST 2002

> Le jeudi 18 avril 2002, à 09:58 AM, Bruno Voisin a écrit :
>
> > functionality though implemented differently. All that, anyway, isn't
> > necessary in LaTeX 2e, where you just type
> >
> > \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}
> >
> > (possibly accompanied by \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}) to get the same
> > result.
> >
> > The latter solution, I think, is also the only one which stills works
> > should the file be sent to other platforms (provided the applemac above
> > is replaced by the proper name, latin1 for example on UNIX machines).
> >

> Not exactly
>
> if you send a mac tex file to another platform, either with 8bitsdefs,
> option_key or inputenc, it will compile fine, but you will not be able
> to edit correctly the file except if the text editor is mac friendly
> (accented chars will be wrong).
>
> If you change the option in inputenc (applemac -> latin1 for example)
> and send the file to the other platform, you will not be able to compile
> the file nor edit it correctly unless you have changed the encoding and
> probably the line endings too.

Hi,

There's another problem too, with that file that Bruno sent.
It came encoded as UTF8, with many 2-octet combinations starting with
the A-tilde character.

So if you use it on a non-UTF8-aware system, these will be read as
two 8-bit characters, instead of as a single character.
This will surely kill many of those \def commands.
I'd be extremely surprised if it compiles at all in TeX, on systems
other than a Mac with OS X.

There's a lesson in there somewhere; but I'm not sure exactly
what it is.  :-)

Cheers,

	Ross

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.