[OS X TeX] Using CM-Super

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Apr 16 00:46:26 CEST 2002

> I'm happy with cm-super for producing french text using GW's pdflatex.
>
> However I notice a strange behavior, when a new font happens to be used:
> metafont is launched to build  .gf and .pk fonts, which seem not to be
> used. Perhaps a lack of .tfm files ? This arrived with very common font
> (trigerred by \texttt and \textsc )

This sounds like a lack of style/face entries in the  .fd  file
for the font and encoding that you have selected.

Alternatively, a .sty file may have said what face to use for the
main font (\rm, \it, \sl  variants) but not the \tt and \sc (and \sf ?)
variants.

Typically an  .fd  file finishes with lots of font substitution
lines, such as the following (from  ot1pbk.fd  for Adobe Bookman) :

\DeclareFontShape{OT1}{pbk}{b}{sl}{<->ssub * pbk/db/sl}{}
\DeclareFontShape{OT1}{pbk}{bx}{sl}{<->ssub * pbk/b/sl}{}
\DeclareFontShape{OT1}{pbk}{b}{it}{<->ssub * pbk/db/it}{}
\DeclareFontShape{OT1}{pbk}{bx}{it}{<->ssub * pbk/b/it}{}
\DeclareFontShape{OT1}{pbk}{m}{n}{<->ssub * pbk/l/n}{}

For example, the 4th line says that the  ultrabold-italic
style should use the same font as the  bold-italic  style.
But the 3rd line says that for  bold-italic use  demibold-italic.
Earlier in the file there is a specification for what this is:

\DeclareFontShape{OT1}{pbk}{db}{it}{
   <-> pbkdi7t
}{}

so that the  pbkdi7t.tfm  will be used for the metrics,
and  pbkdi7t.vf  will be examined to determine which actual fonts
are required, as well as the sizes and specific glyphs that are needed
to generate subsetted fonts for inclusion in the PDF or PS document.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

> Salutations.

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.