[OS X TeX] paranthesis at citations

Maarten Sneep sneep at nat.vu.nl
Wed Apr 10 11:09:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

A clear case of rtfm. Do you have a file natbib.cfg? If so, either remove it,
of load the package as indicated below. round should be default, but for some
reason it isn't. In that case: force it.

\usepackage[round]{natbib}

No need to use the harvard styles (which have many side effects) and you
retain the option to (easily) switch to a different style. There are more
options (what to do with multiple citations at once, etc.).

Take care,

Maarten

> I tested that myself and got exactly the same result. One option is to
> use harvard style instead.
>
> \cite{} gives you the "(name year, name year)"
> \citeasnoun gives you "name (year)"
>
> \usepackage{harvard}
>
> an option for a bib style is {em} but I'm sure there are many other
> options.
>
> Fredrik
>
> On Tuesday, April 9, 2002, at 02:19 , christoph.lehmann at unifr.ch wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Sorry, but I am still a newbie: I use the report class with
> >
> > \usepackage{natbib}
> > \bibliographystyle{plainnat}
> >
> > so I can use \citet{} and \citep{}
> >
> > actually it works. BUT: I get in the text:
> >
> > blablabla [Kawasaki, 1997]. As Hunziker [1994] could demonstrate....
> >
> > the parenthesis are just wrong. I  need the authors encapsulated in ()
> > paranthesis.
> > So what can I do?
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your help

"help" (no quotes) in the body.