[OS X TeX] Re: OzTeX can't find BBEdit

Andrew Trevorrow andrew at trevorrow.com
Thu Apr 25 12:52:31 CEST 2002

> It's listed as a known problem, but when I try to use OzTeX 5.0 under
> OSX, I always get the "can't find editor of type R*ch" when I try to
> use BBEdit as the editor. I tried rebuilding the classic desktop from
> OSX, to no avail.

Boot under OS 9 and rebuild the desktops of ALL volumes by holding down
option+command during start up.  Or use a utility like TechTool Pro.

> I don't think I'm interested enough to reboot into OS9(!!) just to
> fix a file path problem.

What's so hard about booting OS 9?  It's not really a file path problem.
There is a bug in the OS X Finder that can result in incorrect data in
the desktop database file(s), and so OzTeX's search fails.

> Instead of the current method, how about
> using a pathname under OSX? Or, how about just letting me use the
> file dialogue box to -show- OzTeX which editor I want to use?

I'll probably have to do something like this in the next release.
I had been hoping that Apple would fix the bug.  Plus there are
more and more apps that use nulls or ???? for their signature,
so eventually I might have to abandon the idea of using signatures
to locate apps, or at least provide an alternative method.

Andrew

"help" (no quotes) in the body.