[Mac OS X TeX] Type 1 PS Fonts, TeXShop/teTeX, and OS X...

V. Vatsal vatsal at math.ubc.ca
Tue Sep 4 22:09:45 CEST 2001

<x-flowed>
One easy way to make .pfa fonts for Unix, starting from Mac fonts, is as
follows. It's taken from Andrew Trevorrow's OzTeX user manual. The
instructions are for use in Classic Mac OS.

Use the chooser to select a LaserWriter 8.x printer driver. Then use your
favorite word processor to create a small document using the font in
question. Print the doument to a file as a postscript job. (ie, Select
print to file from the print dialog box.) When you print, make sure to set
the font inclusion options to "all". Then open the .ps file that you have
created in a text editor like BBEdit or Alpha (don't use a word processor
for this bit) and delete everything except the portion between and
including the lines

%% BeginFont MyFont

%% EndFont MyFont

Here MyFont is the name of the font. Save the resulting text file as
MyFont.pfa. This file can then be placed in the appropriate place in the
texmf tree for use by dvips.

There is one maybe tricky bit: you'll likely have to change the name from
MyFont.pfa to whatever dvips is looking for, or change the various map
files to point to the .pfa you've created. Best to RTFM about this.

What I'm still not clear about is how TeXShop's previewer likes to have
fonts set up. Do we still need the Mac fonts for preview, in addition to
the .pfa or .pfb files for teTeX?

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.